A wind mitigation inspector will look at many features of your home to determine what discounts you may be eligible for. Basically they will look at the following areas:
• Roof Covering – The insurance company is mandated to give discounts if you have had your roof replaced since 2001 Florida Building Code (F.B.C.) went into effect which occurred March of 2002. The reason is that the 2001 F.B.C. required more stringent testing standards that roofing materials must meet along with requiring better fastening to the roof.
• Roof Deck Attachment – This is in reference to the fasteners that are used to attach the roof sheathing to the roof framing members. Roof decks can be attached with a wide range of fasteners that include staples, 6D nails, 8D nails, screws, etc. The wind mitigation inspection will identify the type of fastener used and how often the fasteners are spaced. Often times when a newer roof has been applied to the roof deck may have been re-nailed.
• Roof to Wall Connections – This refers to what is holding your roof framing members down to your walls. This could be anything from nails that were nailed at an angle (“Toe Nails”), metal straps secured to only 1 side of the framing member (“Clip”), metal straps that go up 1 side of the framing member and wraps over the top and secured to the other side (”Single Wrap”), to having a metal strap on both sides (“Double Wraps”) and more. This is identified during the Wind Mitigation.
• Roof Geometry – The shape of the roof is important when comparing or mitigating the wind. If your roof is shaped like a pyramid and goes down at a slope on all 4 elevations than your roof geometry would be considered as a “Hip”. The “Other” choice for roof shapes are anything other than a hip: flat, gable, mansard, etc.
• Gable Bracing – If your roof is an “Other” and it happens to be shaped as a Gable roof than the inspection will identify if there is bracing present and if it meets the 2001 F.B.C.
• Wall Construction Type – This is exactly how it sounds. The type of wall and the percentage of each. For example: Wood Frame 20%, Reinforced Masonry 80% or Un-reinforced Masonry, or Poured Concrete.
• Secondary Water Resistant Barrier (SWR) – For the purpose of the wind mitigation inspection the SWR is a self adhering modified bitumen underlayment. Basically, this is a peel and stick type of material that is installed before the shingles. It provides additional protection as it adheres directly to the roof decking, and if you lose your roofing material in a storm this will stay. You would need to prove this was done with photos taken when applied and/or receipts.
• Opening Protection – This is looking at what is the weakest from of protection on all of your openings. This includes all doors, windows and garage doors.
You do not need all of these things to receive a discount on your insurance. You may only have one of these features or you may have several. You should receive a discount for each item that qualifies. Only use a qualified and licensed inspector.
NOTE: The answers to coverage questions are primarily based on ISO forms generally used in Florida by most companies. However, please keep in mind that all companiesï¿½ forms are NOT necessarily the same. Some companies may provide broader coverage and some may be more restrictive.
IN ALL CASES, THE CONSUMER MUST REFER TO HIS OR HER OWN POLICY FOR SPECIFIC COVERAGE INFORMATION.
The privacy of our website visitor’s and our client's is very important to our company. We will respect your privacy and we will not share your information with advertining or marketing companies, and will not sell your information to any mailing lists. We only share your personal information with the companies and the individuals that are necessary in performing our business duties in acquiring and in servicing your insurance needs. Please feel free to contact us immediately if you have any questions about your privacy.
Information contained within this site is the property of Hoffman and Associates Insurance Company and is provided for consumers looking to purchase insurance. Any other use is prohibited. We are not responsible for errors and omissions on this web site. All information contained herein should be deemed reliable but not guaranteed, all representations are approximate, and individual verification is required. Please contact Hoffman Insurance Company at 321-751-2511 before making any purchase decisions based on information contained on this web site to check for validity. This content is copyrighted by Hoffman and Associates Insurance Company and will bring legal action on to anyone who copies the information contained here. PLEASE NOTE THAT COMPLETION OF A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION DOES NOT CONSTITUTE THE PURCHASE OF INSURANCE. NO COVERAGE MAY BE ADDED, CHANGED OR BOUND AS A RESULT OF SUBMITTING A REQUEST FOR INFORMATION. ALL COVERAGE MUST BE CONFIRMED BY THE AGENCY IN WRITING SUBJECT TO AN ACCEPTABLE SIG NED APPLICATION MEETING THE UNDERWRITING GUIDELINES OF THE INSURANCE COMPANY. Please read your policy carefully for your terms of coverage. No information in this website alters the terms of coverage in your individual policy. If you do not agree to these terms please exit this website